Knowledgeable Experienced and Proven Conveyancers
1800 248 330

Salesman and Tax Driver, what do they have in common

Salesman earns their money by talking and uses all their talking ability.

Taxi drivers earn their money by driving around and picking up passengers.

How do salesman and taxi drivers look for their customers? They do it any way they can.

To find customers for taxi drivers and real estate agents is mighty hard because you do not know where and when the next customer is coming from.

For a taxi driver, once he picks up a passenger he needs to drive that passenger to his or her destination. It is best to drive them the long way to earn more money. Once you drop the passenger off, your duty is done and you will never see the passenger again.

For the salesman, he will talk and talk until you succumb to his convincing power. You sign the contract to buy. Once the cooling period is over, you cannot change your mind. The agent is now in glee as his commission money is assured. He will not want to see you again because getting you to sign the contract was a nerve wracking and almost a brain damaging experience. He never wishes to talk to you ever again after the cooling off. He better spend his time to hunt again, searching for the next vendor or purchaser.

From my 20 plus years of experience, the agent told me time and time again this.

“I do not see the client again after the deal is done. Even if I do, I will not make money. When the next time they buy, I will not have the property that they want and when they sell, I have already moved to another real estate company. For this reason, I will never see them again”.

It is crystal clear that the agent will not do business with you again once the cooling period is over. The same with the taxi driver, once he drops you off, he will not do business with you again. (There are 1 in 50,000 chances that the taxi driver will pick up the same passenger again).

I know that you will say that not all salesmen will do that. That is true and I must say that I estimate that 80% of salesmen are the good guys and the other 20% are not.

20% is enough for you to vomit.

Lesson for you.

If you want or need anything from the salesman, ask him for favours before the end of the cooling off period.

“Fake friends are like shadows: always near you at your brightest moments, but nowhere to be seen at your darkest hour True friends are like stars, you don't always see them but they are always there.”

Habeeb Akande

Smart Tip

Be prepared and understand the nature of salesmen as you will never change their nature. It is just like a leopard can't change its spots.

Take me up